About the Laboratory
The Bone Research Program pursues basic, applied and clinical research in bone health and biology. Our basic research focuses on the actions of steroid hormones in bone, covering emerging and exciting areas such as the links between bone and systemic fuel metabolism, or the complex regulatory functions of glucocorticoids in inflammatory arthritis.
Our applied and clinical research focuses on the assessment of bone metabolism, the implementation of secondary fracture prevention programs, and male ageing. Our research has been continuously supported by competitive grants from the NH&MRC and other agencies.
Our group is well represented at national and international scientific meetings, including the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR), the Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society (ANZBMS), the Australian & New Zealand Obesity Society (ANZOS), European Association for the study of Diabetes Annual Meeting; European Calcified Tissue Society (ECTS); Endocrine Society’s Annual Meeting and Expo (ENDO2017) and others). At all of these meetings, our group has had multiple oral presentations and awards, reflecting the high standard and international recognition of our research.
Work presented at ENDO2017 (Florida, USA) won the Endocrine Society Outstanding Abstract Award and was cited as a top story by the European Society of Endocrinology.
In 2016-2017, our group’s research has been selected for ten oral presentations at international and national conferences. Prof’s Seibel and Zhou have been invited to speak at numerous domestic and international conferences, including meetings in Europe, Japan, China and the US.
In 2017, Prof Seibel has been elected a Fellow of the prestigious Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences.
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
- University of Ulm, Germany
- Yale University, USA
- Rush University, USA
- Indiana University, Indiana, USA
- University of Birmingham, UK
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
- Hong Kong Baptist University, China
- Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China
- Nanjing Medical University, China
- Shanghi Jiaotong University, China
- Shihezi University School of Medicine, China
- North Western Polytechnical University, China
- University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Busheer University, Busheer, Iran
- Diabetes and Obesity, The Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney
- Raymond Purves Bone and Joint Research Labs, Kolling Institute, Sydney
- Musculoskeletal Ageing Research Program, Sydney Medical School Nepean
- Centre for Orthopaedic and Trauma Research, The University of Adelaide
- School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, The University of South Australia